Botulinum toxin is also used off-label (not approved) for:
- Achalasia (an issue with the throat that makes swallowing difficult).
- Anal fissure and anismus (dysfunction of the anal sphincter).
- Sialorrhea (producing too much saliva).
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever).
- Sphincter of oddi (hepatopancreatic) dysfunction (causes abdominal pain).
- Cerebral Palsy.
- Oromandibular dystonia (forceful contraction of the jaw, face, and/or tongue).
- Laryngeal dystonia (forceful contraction of the vocal cords).
What is Botox?
Clostridium botulinum, the bacterium from which Botox is derived, is found in many natural settings, including soil, lakes, and forests.
The bacterium can also be found in the intestinal tracts of mammals and fish and in the gills and organs of crabs and other shellfish.
Such naturally occurring instances of Clostridium botulinum bacteria and spores are generally harmless. Problems only arise when the spores transform into vegetative cells and the cell population increases.
Botulinum toxin is predominantly used as a treatment to reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and fine lines.
Beyond aesthetic applications, Botox is used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including eye squints, migraines, excess sweating, and leaky bladders.
Botulinum toxin is currently used to treat over 20 different medical conditions, with more applications under investigation.
Botulinum toxin is currently approved for the following therapeutic applications:
- Blepharospasm (spasm of the eyelids).
- Idiopathic rotational cervical dystonia (severe neck and shoulder muscle spasms).
- Chronic migraine.
- Severe primary axillary hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating).
- Strabismus (crossed eyes).
- Post-stroke upper limb spasticity.
- Detrusor (bladder wall muscle) overactivity – causing urinary incontinence.
- Overactive bladder.
- Hemifacial spasm.
- Glabellar lines (frown lines between the eyebrows).
- Canthal lines (crow’s feet).
I would definitely give this clinic a 5 star rating. This is the second time around I’m using their treatment and couldn’t be happier. The staff here is really friendly and informative and they use state of the art technology when it comes to their equipment. Their procedure is definitely worth the money and you can notice a difference in your skin right after the first session. Highly recommended!!
My wife had PRP treatment done for a facial and she looks great. This is the cheapest we have found for PRP and they also price match, which we haven’t been able to find elsewhere. Will be recommending this place to friends.
…At a certain point, the bacteria begin producing botulinum toxin, the deadly neurotoxin responsible for botulism.
Neurotoxins target the nervous system, disrupting the signaling processes that allow neurons to communicate effectively.
Fast facts on Botox:
- Botox is the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment, with more than 6 million Botox treatments administered each year.
- Botox is a neurotoxin derived from Clostridium botulinum, an organism found in the natural environment where it is largely inactive and non-toxic.
- Botulinum toxin is used to reduce fine lines and wrinkles by paralyzing the underlying muscles.
- People also use Botox to treat excessive sweating, migraines, muscular disorders, and some bladder and bowel disorders.
- Botulism, an illness caused by botulinum toxin, can cause respiratory failure and prove deadly.
- Just 1 gram of botulinum toxin could kill over 1 million people. Two kilograms could kill the entire human population of Earth.